Monday, July 26, 2010

The story




“What’s her story?” That is the number one question I am asked about Mahlet. Funny, because that is not the number one question I was asked about out adopted daughter from China. Is it because adoptions from Africa are not as common (well, they are now)? Is it because they assume her parents are dead? Are they trying to figure out if she has some horrible disease? No one walks up to me and asks what’s my story or my biological daughters’ stories. Why do people want to know her “story”?
Well, I will tell you her story. She is a 7 year old girl who needed a home. End of story. That is the entire story that we needed. It should be more than adequate for you.
I am not saying that to be mean or to let you think we are hiding anything. I am saying that because she is a human being. You wouldn’t walk up to a complete stranger on the street and say, “Hey! Why don’t you have a leg?” No, it’s rude (and if you do, we should talk). It’s just as rude to think that sharing the intimate details of her young life is any of your business.
Again, the only thing that matters is that she is a 7 year old girl who needed a home and we are so blessed that we were chosen to be her family. That brings me to another point. People say, “You are so amazing for doing this.” I will be the first to step up to the plate and say we are not amazing. You know who is amazing? Mahlet is amazing. Eight weeks ago that girl was picked up and taken away from her life….literally, left everything behind. She was dropped into a new country, new house and new family. Yet every morning she wakes up with a smile on her face. She might not go to bed that way, but everyday she wakes up with a smile. What a grand testimony to her desire for life. She wakes up with a smile on her face and the attitude that this is a new day. Sure she has toys and TV and new clothes and sisters, but I am sure she would trade it all back in to be back in Ethiopia with people who understand her language, to the foods and smells she knows, to her birth family. She doesn’t care if she had to live on a dirt floor. How courageous is this little girl to put her life on our hands. To give us her trust?
You know who else is amazing? Our Samantha is amazing. She had to go through the same experiences at age 4 and now she is reliving those experiences with Mahlet. It has dredged up a lot of questions about her past. Questions she never asked and questions I can’t always answer for her. She is one of the bravest girls I know.
So, the next time you think to ask an adoptive parent about their child’s “story”, stop and consider what a personal question you are really asking?

1 comment:

  1. As an adoptive mom I like this post, thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

A hundred years from now...

A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.- Forest Witcraft